Frequently Asked Questions
If you have additional questions not addressed in this section please contact Customer Service.
MT stands for mechanical transfer. The MT Ferrule is a multi-fiber ferrule in which fiber alignment is dependent on the eccentricity and pitch of the fiber and alignment pin holes. The alignment is dictated by the alignment pins during mating.
The critical elements for fiber alignment are:
1. The ability to hold extreme tolerances for precision during the molding process
2. The shape, tolerances and material composition of the alignment pins
MPO is the industry acronym for “multi-fiber push on.” The MPO-style connectors are most commonly defined by two different documents:
• IEC-61754-7 is the commonly sited standard for MPO connectors internationally
• EIA/TIA-604-5, also known as FOCIS 5, is the most common standard sited for in the US
The MTP connector is a high performance MPO connector with multiple engineered product enhancements to improve optical and mechanical performance when compared to generic MPO connectors.
The MTP connector is in complete compliance with all MPO connector standards including the EIA/TIA-604-5 FOCIS 5 and the IEC-61754-7. The MTP connector is inter-matable with all generic MPO-style connectors that are compliant to these industry standards. Generic MPO connectors are limited in performance and are not able to offer the high performance levels of the US Conec MTP connector.
Yes. The MTP connector is a high performance MPO connector engineered for better mechanical and optical performance.
The MTP connector has features and benefits that are not available on generic MPO connectors. Some of the key distinctions include:
1. The MTP connector housing is removable. This feature allows the customer to:
- Re-work and re-polish the MT ferrule
- Change the gender after assembly or even in the field
- Scan the ferrule interferometrically after assembly
2. The MTP connector offers ferrule float to improve mechanical performance. This allows two mated ferrules to maintain physical contact while under an applied load. (US Patent 6,085,003)
3. The MTP connector uses tightly held tolerance stainless steel guide pin tips with an elliptical shape. The elliptical shaped guide pin tips improves guidance and reduces guide hole wear. (US Patent 6,886,988)
4. The MTP connector has a metal pin clamp with features for centering the push spring. This feature:
- Eliminates lost pins
- Centers spring force
- Eliminates fiber damage from spring
5. The MTP connector spring design maximizes ribbon clearance for twelve fiber and multifiber ribbon applications to prevent fiber damage.
6. The MTP connector is offered with four standard variations of strain relief boots to meet a wide array of applications.
- Round, Loose Fiber Cable Constructions
- Oval Jacketed Cable
- Bare Ribbon Fiber
- Short boot which reduces the footprint by 45%. Ideal for use in space limited applications.
For more detailed information on the advantages of the MTP connector, contact US Conec Customer Service
The best method available for cleaning MT ferrules is the use of an advanced dry cloth cleaning system like the NTT-AT OPTIPOP and the US Conec IBC™ family of cleaners. The anti-static cleaning cloths that are used in both series of dry cleaners are designed to remove containments such as dust and oils that can come into contact with the ferrule and negatively impact optical performance. The dry cleaning solutions offered by US Conec are designed and tested for single pass cleaning and will not leave a residue like alcohol based systems or simply shift the containments towards the outer edges of the ferrule like low-grade cleaning clothes and swabs with limited or no anti-static properties. The OPTIPOP and IBC family of cleaners are designed for use with both male and female connections and have options for single fiber, ceramic ferrule connectors. The IBC cleaners have been designed to work for cleaning connectors residing in the adapter. The OPTIPOP cassette and card cleaners allow the owner to refill the cleaning clothes which can reduce cost per cleaning below traditional cleaning methods.
Yes. US Conec offers a label license to our customers. Link to label licenses.
Do you have suggestions for information we should add to the FAQ section?
Please contact Custom Service.